Our Philadelphia Anesthesia Error Lawyers know that anesthesia mistakes due to medical negligence or malpractice can cause a patient’s catastrophic injury or death even when the medical procedure itself is relatively uncomplicated. Being put under anesthesia is one of the riskiest aspects of surgery. Anesthesia injuries can be even more debilitating or deadly than mistakes made by surgeons.
Each year in the United States, hundreds of people die and many more are injured by anesthesia-related errors.
Here are some of the many injuries caused by these mistakes:
- Injuries due to oxygen deprivation (asphyxia)
- Heart attack or stroke
- Spinal cord, nerve, or tracheal damage
- Collapsed lungs
- Injuries to mother and fetus during childbirth
Anesthesia Errors caused by Medical Negligence
Anesthesia can be used to control pain and increase patient comfort (local anesthesia and/or relaxation medication) or to render a patient unconscious (general anesthesia). Forms of local anesthesia include epidurals and spinal anesthesia (spinal block), and regional anesthesia to numb particular parts of a patient’s body. Each of these types of anesthesia holds risks for the patient. This is particularly true of general anesthesia, even for surgeries of short-duration.
When a negligent anesthesia error causes a patient’s injury or death, the anesthesiologist, Certified Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA), and other members of the anesthesia team may be among the individuals found legally responsible for the patient’s death or injury in a Medical Malpractice legal action filed by a Philadelphia Anesthesia Error Lawyer. Hospitals and care centers (as separate entities) may also be found liable for harm caused by their own negligence or the negligence of their employees.
Anesthesia-related malpractice occurs in hospitals, surgical centers, urgent care centers, doctors’ offices, dentists’ offices, and anywhere anesthesia is administered. Here are some of the many examples of anesthesia errors that may be considered medical malpractice.
- Failure to ensure that pre-operative instructions were followed by patient
- Inattentiveness of anesthesia team and failure of anesthesiologist to adequately manage anesthesia team
- Negligent administration and control of anesthesia medications and failure to monitor and respond to effects of anesthesia drugs (including drug interactions, allergic reactions, and severe drops in blood pressure)
- Delaying the delivery of anesthesia
- Failure to carefully and attentively monitor patients’ vital signs and failure to monitor and provide sufficient oxygen
- Negligent intubation (improper insertion or removal of airway tubes)
- Negligent use of defective equipment and devices and/ or improper use of equipment and devices
Philadelphia Anesthesia Error Lawyers:
Taking Legal Action for Anesthesia Error Injuries
If you have been injured or one of your family members has died because of a negligent anesthesia error during a medical procedure, our experienced and highly knowledgeable Philadelphia Anesthesia Error Lawyers can help you obtain the compensation you deserve from the anesthesiologist, hospital, or other responsible parties. Contact our medical malpractice lawyers today for a free consultation about your case.