Washington County, Pennsylvania, may be entitled to recover compensation from prescription opioid producers and marketers in Washington County, PA opioid litigation. Washington County has sustained significant costs due to the opioid epidemic. According to U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) data, Washington County (total population 207,820) experienced a 45% increase in overdose deaths from 2015 to 2016. Most of these overdoses involved opioids fentanyl and heroin. See DEA Analysis of Overdose Deaths in Pennsylvania, 2016, (U) Appendix Figure 64.
The Washington County Coroner’s Office reported 75 drug overdose deaths in 2017. Fifty-three (53) deaths involved the opioid fentanyl and 18 involved the opioid heroin. In 2016, 109 overdose deaths occurred. Sixty-eight (68) overdoses involved fentanyl and 47 involved heroin.
Cause and Recovery of Washington County
Widespread opioid addiction and abuse in Washington County and other counties throughout Pennsylvania resulted from the illicit marketing schemes of prescription opioid producers. This crisis has caused economic and other losses to Washington County for which recovery may be sought from prescription opioid manufacturers and marketers.
An MDL (Multidistrict Litigation) was formed on December 5, 2017, to foster the efficiency of pre-trial and discovery phases of federal opioid litigation. Federal opioid cases instituted by governmental entities such as Washington County will be filed in the MDL court in the Northern District of Ohio for this part of the litigation.
[See Pennsylvania Opioid Government Litigation Lawyers for additional details about the economic burdens of the opioid epidemic, causes of action, and recoverable damages.]
Washington County, PA Opioid Info. & Resources
Pennsylvania Opioid Information & Resources
- Drug Presence in Pennsylvania, 1999-2016
- Cocaine / Fentanyl Combination in Pennsylvania
- Overdose Free PA
- DEA: Pennsylvania Drug Overdose Deaths Jump 37% in 2016
- Commonwealth Prevention Alliance Stop Opiate Abuse Campaign
- Pennsylvania: Treating and Preventing Opioid Addiction
- Pennsylvania Department of Drug and Alcohol Programs: Opioid / Heroin Reversal (Naloxone)
- DEA Analysis of Overdose Deaths in Pennsylvania, 2016
Other Opioid Information
- CDC Foundation’s New Business Pulse Focuses on Opioid Overdose Epidemic
- Federal Opioid Litigation Multidistrict Litigation (MDL)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) National Institute on Drug Abuse: Opioids
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA): Opioid Medications
Inquire About Washington County, PA Opioid Litigation
Feldman & Pinto, P.C., is a Philadelphia based personal injury firm concentrating their practice in pharmaceutical litigation and medical malpractice. We are part of a team of lawyers engaged in a fight to compensate local governmental entities for costs incurred as a result of the opioid epidemic.
Please contact us to inquire about the possibility of commencing Washington County, PA opioid litigation.