Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, may be entitled to recover damages from prescription opioid manufacturers and marketers in Allegheny County, PA opioid litigation. Allegheny County has suffered overdose deaths and other losses from the opioid crisis. According to U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) data, Allegheny County (total population of 1,223,348) experienced a 52% increase in overdose deaths from 2015 to 2016. The majority of these overdoses were from opioids heroin and fentanyl. See DEA Analysis of Overdose Deaths in Pennsylvania, 2016, (U) Appendix Figure 11.
The Allegheny County Medical Examiner’s Office also reported a continued rise in overdose deaths from 2014 through 2016. Opioids, including Oxycodone, Fentanyl, and heroin, were the most commonly involved drugs.
Allegheny County reported 3,536 overdose deaths between 2008 and 2017. Most of these deaths involved the opioid heroin. The opioid fentanyl was the next most frequent drug involvement.
Cause and Recovery of Allegheny County
Prescription opioid manufacturers have engaged in unscrupulous marketing practices leading to extensive opioid addiction and abuse in Allegheny County and other governmental entities throughout the nation. Deceptive marketing and aggressive sales of prescription opioids have resulted in unnecessary and excessive opioid prescriptions and a consequent increase in opioid dependency. These practices have burdened Allegheny County and other Pennsylvania counties with untoward economic losses from battling the effects of opioid addiction within their jurisdiction.
Counties and other local governments across the country have filed lawsuits against producers and marketers of prescription opioid medications, seeking damages for excess costs associated with the opioid epidemic. To streamline the discovery and pre-trial phases of federal opioid cases, an MDL (Multidistrict Litigation) was formed on December 5, 2017. All federal cases brought by governmental entities such as Allegheny County will be filed in the MDL court in the Northern District of Ohio.
[See Pennsylvania Opioid Government Litigation Lawyers for additional details about the economic burdens of the opioid epidemic, causes of action, and recoverable damages.]
Allegheny County, PA Opioid Information & Resources
- Allegheny County Overdose Deaths
- Allegheny County Health Department Overdose Prevention Project
- Allegheny County Overdose Prevention Coalition
- Opiate-Related Overdose Deaths in Allegheny County
- Allegheny County Department of Human Services / Bureau of Drug and Alcohol Services
- Harm Reduction Coalition Prevention Point Pittsburgh
- Allegheny Institute for Public Policy: Economic Impact of Opioid Abuse Locally
- Report Explores Allegheny County Overdose Deaths over 7-Year Span
- Allegheny County, PA: Rapid Escalation of Fentanyl in Illicit Drug Evidence 2010-2016
- NEWS: Allegheny County Fighting Opioid Epidemic
Pennsylvania Opioid Information & Resources
- Drug Presence in Pennsylvania, 1999-2016
- Cocaine / Fentanyl Combination in Pennsylvania
- Overdose Free PA
- DEA: Pennsylvania Drug Overdose Deaths Jump 37% in 2016
- Commonwealth Prevention Alliance Stop Opiate Abuse Campaign
- Pennsylvania: Treating and Preventing Opioid Addiction
- Pennsylvania Department of Drug and Alcohol Programs: Opioid / Heroin Reversal (Naloxone)
- DEA Analysis of Overdose Deaths in Pennsylvania, 2016
Other Opioid Information
- CDC Foundation’s New Business Pulse Focuses on Opioid Overdose Epidemic
- Federal Opioid Litigation Multidistrict Litigation (MDL)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) National Institute on Drug Abuse: Opioids
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA): Opioid Medications
Allegheny County Opioid Litigation News
The Allegheny County Coroner’s Office records Allegheny County’s opioid overdose deaths on County death certificates. In 98% of Allegheny County overdose deaths, the specific drugs involved in a fatal overdose are listed [...]
The Allegheny County, PA Coroner’s Office reports that official Allegheny Country 2017 drug deaths exceeded those in 2016. The County’s drug deaths from 2016 also exceeded those in 2015, which exceeded those [...]
Our country is in the clutches of a burgeoning opioid epidemic, and Allegheny County’s opioid crisis is exceptionally dire. Overdose deaths in Allegheny County are significantly higher than the national rate. In [...]
Inquire About Allegheny County, PA Opioid Litigation
Feldman & Pinto, P.C., is a Philadelphia based personal injury firm concentrating their practice in pharmaceutical litigation and medical malpractice. We are part of a team of lawyers engaged in a fight to compensate local governmental entities for costs incurred as a result of the opioid epidemic.
Please contact us to inquire about the possibility of commencing Allegheny County, PA opioid litigation.