The Philadelphia brain injury drug and medical device lawyers at Feldman & Pinto offer representation to clients who suffered brain injuries from defective:
- drugs (meds / pharmaceuticals), or
- medical devices
Brain injuries can have permanent and life-altering effects and extensive damages. These may include the need for life-long care, drastic change in lifestyle and earning ability, and repeated surgery and hospitalization.
Brain Injuries Caused by Defective Drugs and Medical Devices
Philadelphia brain injury drug and medical device lawyers frequently handle cases arising out of brain injuries caused by defective drugs and medical devices. These personal injuries can result from:
- puncture of the brain by a broken or dislodged medical device, or
- interference with the supply of oxygen to the brain by a defective drug
Examples of the many defective drugs and medical devices that can cause life-changing brain injury or damage include:
- IVC Filters
Brain Injuries or Damage Caused by IVC Filters
IVC Filters are metal medical devices designed to prevent blood clots from reaching a patient’s lungs. Many IVC Blood Clot Filters are defective and often break while inside the patient. The broken pieces (struts) can travel to and puncture the patient’s brain, causing a TBI resulting in catastrophic brain injury / damage.
Legal actions against the makers of IVC Blood Clot Filters allege that:
- the manufacturers created and sold a defective and dangerous medical device, and
- failed to warn consumers and doctors of the risk of brain injuries and other damage from IVC Filter breakage
For more information about IVC Filter injuries and IVC lawsuits, see Philadelphia Blood Clot IVC Filter Injury Lawyers.
Brain Damage or Injuries Caused by Xarelto
Xarelto is a blood thinner that can cause a sudden rush of blood to a patient’s brain. The excess blood reduces the brain’s oxygen supply, often resulting in severe and permanent brain damage (asphyxia). Xarelto has no approved reversal agent to control excessive bleeding. Uncontrolled brain hemorrhages and other bleeding from Xarelto can also lead to a patient’s wrongful death.
Law suits against Bayer, the maker of Xarelto, allege that:
- Bayer made and sold a defective and dangerous drug
- failed to warn consumers and doctors of the risks of uncontrolled bleeding and brain damage / injury caused by Xarelto
Brain Damage or Injuries Caused by Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs)
Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) are drugs that treat heartburn and GERD. Liver cirrhosis patients who use PPIs have an increased risk of Hepatic Encephalopathy (HE), a serious brain injury that involves a loss of brain function. PPIs that can lead to this brain injury include:
See Proton Pump Inhibitor Drugs / PPIs May Cause Hepatic Encephalopathy for more information about the connection between HE and PPIs.
For additional information about specific PPI injury lawsuits, see:
- Philadelphia Aciphex Drug Injury Lawyers
- Philadelphia Dexilant Drug Injury Lawyers
- Philadelphia Nexium Drug Injury Lawyers
- Philadelphia Prevacid Drug Injury Lawyers
- Philadelphia Prilosec Drug Injury Lawyers
- Philadelphia Protonix Drug Injury Lawyers
Contact our Philadelphia Brain Injury Drug and Medical Device Lawyers
If you or a loved one suffered a brain injury due to a defective drug or medical device, our Philadelphia brain injury drug and medical device lawyers may be able to help you obtain the compensation you deserve. Please contact us today for a free evaluation of your case.