Feldman & Pinto’s Philadelphia drug injury lawyers are evaluating Prevacid drug injury cases from people who have suffered personal injuries due to side effects of Prevacid.
Prevacid is a Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI) medicine. Takeda Pharmaceuticals makes Prevacid for treatment of:
- GERD, and
- stomach upset disorders
Prevacid use is linked to serious injuries, including:
- chronic kidney disease (CKD) and kidney (renal) injury
- kidney (renal) inflammation
- kidney (renal) failure
- acute kidney (renal) injury in users with existing renal damage
- dementia and loss of memory
- heart damage / heart attack
- intestinal infections
- bone fractures (including increased risk of hip fracture in elderly users)
- low magnesium levels (which can lead to muscular, neurological, and cardiac effects)
An April 2015 study showed that Prevacid doubles users’ risk of acute kidney injuries. Prevacid users have a 44 percent increased risk of developing dementia and a 20 to 50 percent greater risk of developing CKD, according to a 2016 study.
Another more recent study links PPIs such as Prevacid to a loss of brain function known as hepatic encephalopathy (HE). An over-abundance of gut bacteria caused by Prevacid and other PPIs can lead to this loss of brain function.
Prevacid drug injury lawsuits filed against the drug maker allege that the company:
- knew that Prevacid caused an increased risk of kidney damage and other side effects, and
- failed to adequately warn doctors and users of these risks
Prevacid drug injury lawsuits brought against Takeda Pharmaceuticals seek damages for fatal and non-fatal injuries caused by Prevacid. Physicians understand the dangers of Prevacid, particularly for patients at greater risk of Prevacid side effects.
A court may order a doctor to compensate a Prevacid user for injuries caused by Prevacid if the doctor:
- prescribed Prevacid to a patient in a high risk category for Prevacid injuries
- did not test for a patient’s kidney or other damage caused by Prevacid, and /or
- did not otherwise take reasonable care to monitor and prevent a patient’s dangerous Prevacid induced injury or death
Contact a Philadelphia Prevacid Drug Injury Lawyer
You may be entitled to money damages if you sustained personal injuries after use of Prevacid. Please contact us to learn more about filing a Prevacid drug injury lawsuit. Our personal injury lawyers can help you obtain the compensation and justice you deserve. While a lawsuit cannot restore your good health, it can help cover medical and other bills caused by your injury. It can also compensate you for the pain and suffering you have endured as a result of exposure to this dangerous drug.